Is the Acura MDX Expensive to Repair?
This article serves as a guide to repairs, services, and maintenance costs of the Acura MDX. It is very important to regularly maintain the Acura MDX and solve any problems that occur in it quickly. On an average scale the annual maintenance cost is approximately $554. Many people think that it is very expensive to repair an Acura but that is not true. The cost depends on the number of repairs and what part of the MDX that you want to repair.
Other costs such as repair and maintenance costs vary depending on location, age, mileage and repair shop. The different parts of an Acura MDX like the parking brake, power seat switch, stabilizer bar link etc. have different costs of repairs and replacements. The repair costs depends on repair shop, location and the parts that need to be replaced or repaired.
Problems in Acura MDX
Check Engine and D4 Lights Flashing
There may be an issue related to automatic transmissions in an Acura MDX. There can be at times, rough shifting which means the D4 light and check engine might blink or illuminate. The OBD trouble codes will get stored in the computer. The rough shifting of the transmission is a mechanical failure. There might be problems due to automatic transmission. However, if it performs normally, the problem might be due to a faulty sensor or a dirty transmission. In most of the cases, it is crucial to use professional diagnostic equipment in order to provide a diagnosis and complete the correct repair. How long the transmission would take depends on the manufacturer’s recommendation for ATF replacement intervals and procedures.
Shudders while driving at speeds between 35 mph and 40 mph
An intermittent shudder may develop while driving between speeds 35 mph and 40 mph. According to technicians this problem is due to a failed automatic transmission torque converter. It is recommended that the torque converter should be replaced and an updated powertrain control module (PCM) should be installed in order to correct the problem.
Failed Debris in transmission because of torque converter clutch
- The torque converter has a clutch which can fail upon which debris would circulate throughout the automatic transmission.
- Roughly running engine that is difficult to start
The exhaust re-circulation valve (EGR) may fail, which would lead to:
- Illumination of the check engine light
- OBD trouble codes
- Rough idle
- Reduced fuel economy
- Engine vibrations
- Long cranking before engine starts
- Failure of state or federal smog tests
The EGR valve opens and closes when a command is given to it from the computer. The exhaust gases rapidly pass through it leaving carbon deposits behind, which may cause the valve to get stuck in an open or closed position. The solution to this problem is to clean the valve on a weekly basis. However, it is highly recommended that the valve should be replaced by a new one.
2005 models were subjected to fuel tank recall to correct a potential fuel leak
In 2005, Acura issued a recall on several vehicles because it found that their gas tanks were improperly designed and could leak if a crash occurs. It is not clear whether all the fuel fill issues are related to this recall or not.
Engine Idle Speed Is Erratic or Engine Stalls
There might be issues with the idle air control system which would lead to:
- Erratic/bouncing idle
- Poor fuel mileage
- Illumination of the check engine light
- OBD trouble code
- Engine stalling is possible
The idle air bypass system consists of vacuum lines, an idle air control valve (IACV), throttle body, and intake manifold. It allows enough air into the engine to idle when the throttle body is closed. The OBD trouble code refers a person to this system in order to inspect for any failures. It is possible that the cause of this problem might be dirty or failed IACV. However, all the parts of the idle air bypass system should be inspected and cleaned before installing the IACV onto the throttle body.
Check Engine Light and Engine Takes a Long time to Start
The 2002-2017 Acura MDX have problems in the EVAP canister vent solenoid. It stops responding to commands of opening and closing due to which the following occurs:
- Illumination of the check engine light
- OBD trouble code is stored
- Engine takes longer than usual to start
- Fuel mileage decreases noticeably
The valve that is located on the charcoal canister is meant to open and close as the command is given to it. It might fail due to corrosion breaking of one of the two internal seals, which would allow air to get into the system. In order to correct the problem, the vent valve should be replaced or, in some cases, cleaning and resealing of the vent valve can also be done which might lower the repair cost.
Updated PCM is recommended if Automatic Transmission is replaced
An updated powertrain control module (PCM) is available at Acura. This upgraded PCM is meant to be installed with a re-manufactured automatic transmission. The updated PCM is designed to improve the durability of the transmission under specific driving conditions. It is very important to update the PCM regularly so that there is no need to replace automatic transmission.
Failure of EGR Valve or EVAP Solenoid
This problem occurs when the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve or the evaporative emission control (EVAP) solenoid stops functioning. The failure of either one of them leads the Check Engine Light to illuminate. That is why it is very important to make sure that these items are repaired and maintained.
It is obvious that with a lot of problems and issues, they can also be the cause of depreciation in the prices of the cars and therefore that needs to be taken care very seriously by the resource and the management team.
All about depreciation
There are many different things to be followed and surely the value of a new car may be falling at an alarming rate. However, the depreciation varies from the manufacturers as well as the models of the car. The car or the model would have a different depreciation value. So, it is important for you to know the facts about depreciation and whether the car will be losing or retaining its value or not?
In car depreciation these days one of the most expensive things is the cost of the fuel. Fuel is the real gas burner and especially in the depreciation time. When the depreciation is calculated the fuel becomes important as it is one of the most important things to be taken care of while the depreciation occurs. For example, if your car has used a lot of fuel or it has run quite a long distance then the market value of the car will be less.
Therefore, it is always observed that people try to purchase cars that are less driven, or have covered less distance.
Depreciation is the difference between the value of the car during the purchase and the value of the car while selling it. If the distance increases therefore the value of the car will be decreased. The factors in the depreciation of the value of the car stands between 15 to 35% in the first year and it incrementally increases therefore if it is three or more years later, then the value of the car may come down to 50%.
The important factor during the time when one is making a purchase of the second-hand car or a new car is to keep in mind the average distance that has been recorded and the fuel costing of the car. The person driving the car, which has done quite a distance, won’t be able to give a good average and therefore the consumption of fuel will become another expense factor to be reviewed by the purchaser or the buyer.
How can the depreciation be minimized?
While purchasing a car there are few things that must be listed for future use. One must make sure that while they are purchasing the car, they must have a good sold out value for the car as well. This is sold out value would be very helpful in providing more value to the car and it is also necessary to read the features before the purchase.
While making a new purchase or second hand purchases the major things to be kept in mind are the warranty period, the average fuel consumption of the car, the recorded mileage, the servicing and the condition of the car.
If the car has a long-term warranty, then it will be easier for the buyer as in case of servicing a lot of cost cutting can be done and therefore saving money.
There are some other ways that can be helpful in reducing the depreciation:
- There must be a mileage recorded
- If you are planning to sell the car on later, then it is necessary that you take good care of the car every day and check if there are any repairs required or not in order to make sure that the car is in a good state.
- There should be no automation or enhancement of the body parts of the car or any alloys to be added for the modification.
- Selling it at a well-chosen time plays a really important role therefore makes sure that the car is being sold on at a good time.
- The colour of the car also plays a very important part, so one must look after the maintenance of the colour as well as the car. Look after the paintwork to increase the value.
- You need to search for the right car that can help to give the value to sell on later.
- Proper servicing of the car and maintenance should be maintained and recorded.
- It is important to keep all the important legal papers of the car as well as the documentation intact in order to provide a satisfactory deal to the buyer
- Maintaining the service record book with all the documents can really help to increase the value of the car and reduce the depreciation.
How is the Depreciation Calculated?
There are different ways and system to calculate the depreciation.
- MACRS depreciation,
- special depreciation allowance
- section 179 deduction
Above mentioned are the three major systems of calculating the depreciation and it depends on the buyer that which one they choose. It is one of the car depreciation method is to use the turbo tax which is the tax software. It can easily calculate the depreciation and it is very useful to check out the other business deductions.
From all the above three given, the section 179 deduction and the special depreciation allowance may be used in the first year but the optional ones are not much used by people. However the MACRS which is modified accelerated cost recovery system, is more popular when it comes to calculating depreciation.
Special Depreciation Allowance for Cars
- This system is also known as the bonus system as it is an additional amount of money saving that the business owners will get and therefore it can be easily claimed only in the first year.
- It gives the highest first year depreciation in comparison to the other two methods and only applies to the first year
- Can be easily applied in the brand-new or the second-hand cars
- The first day depreciation is effective from 2018 and will end at 2027
- In order to qualify for the special liberalisation allowance, it is necessary that the car should have been in the working mode or running for half a mile and be used for at least 50% for business purposes.
- In order to make the decision of which system to use, make sure that all the necessary legal documentation is done and recorded.
The MACRS Depreciation for Car:
This is one of the most commonly used appreciation methods among the people however it is spreading the cost of the car over five years and it is required that more than 50% of the miles on the speedometer of the car are to be recorded.
That is why it has become firm favourite for many people because even the people who have driven the car for a long time can also use this depreciation model. The depreciation is also calculated after taking the special appreciation allowance and section 179 for the First Year.
Also, there are some important features in MACR that need to be followed up for all the people who are applying for the depreciation or looking to use this method:
- It comes with two large deduction amounts in the first as well as in the second year as in comparison to the straight-line method.
- One of the clauses that is added is that it can only be used if the car has been used for more than half of its time for the business (50% business use)
- It can be easily calculated using the special appreciation as well as section 179 deductions for year one.
There is a special formula that is required to calculate the depreciation it is quite simple and can be easily followed by everyone in order to calculate and know the depreciation value.
Depreciable (Purchase price of car) x (business use percent)
Whereas the formula to calculate the tax deduction on the MACRS depreciation is as follows
Calculate (depreciable basis/ purchase price) x (MACRS depreciation rate)
Relevant information regarding the depreciation in MACRS
In order to calculate the depreciation tax as well as a deduction amount it is necessary that people know the factors below in order to make sure that the value of the deductions done are beneficial for them or if they have taken the correct measures or not?
The depreciable basis which is said to be the purchase price of the car is subtracted by the reduction done by the special depreciation allowance or section 179. Here the process price of the car would be the actual price in which the car has been brought and all reductions are done after it has been sold.
- Legal documentation with verification of date of purchase, price of purchase and when the vehicle was initially started to be used in the business.
- There is a period of five years for recovery of depreciation and this is legally recognised.
- There is a 200% declining balance which is also known as DB which has been estimated for the cars.
Section 179 deduction:
In this section the owners of the cars can deduct 50,000 for cars. In this method the car must have been utilized by minimum of 50% in the business. Most important part in this to remember is that there is a 4562 form which is needed to be filled in and filed.
Important and relevant features of this method of deduction is
- A maximum of five years depreciation
- The depreciation could be higher for heavy duty trucks
- Applies only in the first year of business use
How is section 179 deduction calculated?
This is simple and very easy as there are only two processes that help or are used for calculating the section 179 deduction; the first process includes the business portion of the cars purchase price and is also known as the depreciable basis.
The second process includes the calculation of the maximum number of cars and for calculating the depreciation the below given formula is used
(Basis of the car/purchase price) x (business use percent) = depreciable basis
What documents are crucial for car depreciation?
It is obvious that a person claiming depreciation needs to keep all the important legal documents ready for the car depreciation. IRS needs to ensure that business owners have good records of their car expenses. Every single detail about the use of the car needs to be provided in the record. List of documents have been provided that are required by IRS:
- Proof of purchase to show car’s true and correct cost
- A mileage log that has all the records in it that should be maintained with proper dates, destinations and the other businesses that you used the car for.
- Total miles for the year are also very important because it is the sum of all records that the car is used for- business and personal use. (must be over 50% business)
- Receipts for repairs and improvements that have been done to the car.
Because it might be difficult and complicated for an average person to understand, it is recommended that a professional who specialises in this area of depreciation is contacted for assistance.
The calculation of the depreciation of the car is legally required. The method of the calculation of depreciation, the expenses are known and recorded and reported as soon as an asset is purchased. This reduces the value of the assets and the accounting period income. There are many different types of ways of calculating the car depreciation. Certain methods have been listed below:
Based on the purchase price and current age of the car an early depreciation can be estimated. The depreciation is an average of 24% in the first year and 15% in the rest of the years. For the first year one can easily multiply the purchase price with the first-year depreciation rates and after that it can easily be subtracted from the result.
For the rest of the years one would need to multiply the reduced value in the previous year with the depreciation rates of the current year and then it should be subtracted from the result of the previous year’s value.
This method is based on cost per mile which means business miles that are driven per year.