What Are the Best Cars to Modify?
Every year, consumers spend billions of dollars on custom car modifications. Some modifications simply change the appearance of the car. Making these modifications allows the vehicle owner to create a custom vehicle that is a direct reflection of their personal style. However, other modifications can impact the vehicle’s performance. For example, many modifications are designed to make the vehicle drive faster or smoother.
If you are interested in customizing your car, it’s important to choose the right type of vehicle. Why? It’s simple: some vehicles are better suited for car modifications than others. So what are the best cars to modify? Here are some of your best options:
If you want to customize an SUV, the Jeep Wrangler is definitely the best choice. This SUV was built for off-roading adventures, so it’s not surprising that many modifications are designed to improve the vehicle’s off-road performance.
For example, many Jeep Wrangler owners choose to add a lift kit, which is a modification that lifts the vehicle off of the ground by between two to three inches. Raising your Wrangler by two to three inches can make it better equipped to travel over rocky terrain.
Of course, this is far from the only modification you can make to the Jeep Wrangler. Other popular modifications include:
- Switching from a hard to soft top, or vice versa.
- Removing the doors and/or roof.
- Adding a bumper guard or other exterior features.
- Installing intake snorkels, which would make it safer to drive through water.
It’s easy to make these modifications to a Wrangler, so you won’t have any trouble personalizing your new vehicle.
Mazda MX-5 Miata
If a sports car is more your style, consider the Mazda MX-5 Miata instead. The Mazda is a lightweight car that’s incredibly fun to drive, but you can enhance the experience even further with a few aftermarket parts and custom modifications.
Installing a turbocharger is one of the most common ways to modify a Miata. A turbocharger, which attaches directly to the engine, can improve your vehicle’s fuel efficiency and give it more power. Other popular modifications for the Mazda MX-5 Miata include:
- Upgrading to high performance tires.
- Installing a better air intake system to improve the engine’s performance.
- Installing a sway bar set to improve the vehicle’s handling.
- Upgrading to a better brake system.
Making these modifications will ensure your Miata is ready for a race around the track.
The Ford Mustang is one of the best-selling coupes of all time. It’s also one of the easiest cars to modify.
There are countless aftermarket parts available for every Ford Mustang, regardless of its year. However, there are more options available for newer models, which might make it easier to find what you’re looking for.
If you want to improve your vehicle’s performance, there are a wide range of options available, including:
- Switching to a cold air intake system, which will boost the engine’s power.
- Installing a bolt-on supercharger system to increase the engine’s power.
- Lowering the suspension so the vehicle sits lower to the ground, which can improve handling.
You can also opt for simple modifications that will improve your Mustang’s appearance, such as adding new wheels, installing front and rear spoilers, or painting racing stripes on the hood.
The Chevrolet Camaro is a classic American car that is ideal for custom modifications. You can modify any Chevrolet Camaro, but experts recommend looking for one that is built with a General Motors LS engine, which is the easiest to modify.
Similar to the Mustang, there are countless ways to modify the appearance of the Camaro. You can install a spoiler, change the color of the paint, or upgrade to LED headlights and taillights. You can also make modifications to improve the vehicle’s performance, including:
- Installing a front splitter, which improves the aerodynamics of the vehicle.
- Upgrading to a cold air intake system to increase the horsepower.
- Switching to high performance tires.
- Installing performance shocks and struts, which will make it easier to make tight turns.
There are so many options to choose from, so it won’t be hard to customize your Camaro to fit your unique needs.
The Honda Civic is one of the most reliable and affordable vehicles on the market. It also happens to be one of the best vehicles to modify.
Some modifications, including upgraded air filters and performance intakes, are easy enough to make on your own. However, if you want to make more advanced modifications, it’s best to seek help from a professional.
Some of the most popular ways to modify a Civic include:
- Upgrading to performance brakes and brake pads.
- Installing custom mufflers to turn up the volume on your vehicle’s exhaust.
- Lowering the suspension to improve the vehicle’s handling.
- Installing a tuning chip, which gives you the power to customize your vehicle’s settings.
- Adding roof racks so you can carry cargo on top of your vehicle.
Making these modifications will take your Honda Civic from ordinary to extraordinary.
The Ford Focus is a compact car that comes as a four-door sedan, coupe, or hatchback. Regardless of which style you choose, there are plenty of ways to modify your Ford Focus. However, there are more aftermarket parts available for the ST and RS models.
You can drastically improve the performance of a Ford Focus with these custom modifications:
- Installing a free-flowing exhaust system, which allows the engine to produce more power.
- Upgrading to a better brake system to give you more control over your vehicle.
- Switching to high performance tires and rims.
- Lowering the suspension to improve handling.
Of course, you can also modify the appearance of your Focus by installing front and/or rear spoilers, changing the headlights, or even investing in custom seats.
The Volkswagen Golf is another compact car that is incredibly easy to modify. Aftermarket parts are available for all models, but you will have more options to choose from if you purchase a hatchback or GTI model.
There are many ways to modify a Volkswagen Golf. Some of the most popular modification options include:
- Adding a new exhaust system to make your vehicle sound like a high-powered racing car.
- Installing performance tuning software, which gives you more control over your vehicle’s engine power and performance.
- Using springs or coils to lower your vehicle, which improves handling.
- Installing a sway bar in the rear, which improves the stability of the vehicle, especially when making tight turns.
You can also change the way a Golf looks by adding fins, LED tail lights, or a custom paint job.
BMW 3 Series
If you’re in the market for a luxury car to modify, look no further than the BMW 3 Series. This is the most expensive vehicle on the list, but if you’re willing to invest even more in aftermarket parts, you can make a number of modifications to your 3 Series, including:
- Switching to a lighter set of rims to improve the vehicle’s speed and performance.
- Installing a cold air intake system to give the engine a boost of power.
- Upgrading to a performance exhaust system so your vehicle makes a loud roaring sound.
- Using springs or coils to lower the vehicle and eliminate the body roll.
- Installing racing seats to make your interior look sportier.
These are some of the many ways you can change the way your BMW 3 Series looks and drives.